The Lily Band Club of Mqabba was established in 1911, originally under the name of Circolo Pio X. The initial aim of this club was the organisation of the feast of Our Lady of the Lilies, held annually in Mqabba. The first President of this club was Mr Paul Caruana, a local businessman.
Nowadays the Lily Band Club developed into an organisation which has its own premises and a fireworks factory. The organisational set-up consisting of a Youth Section, a Women’s Section, Pyrotechnic Section, Band Commission, Bandstand Commission, Sport’s Commission and the support of the Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception. The club organises single handedly the feast of Our Lady of the Lilies every June and the feast of the Immaculate Conception in December.
During the 1920s the club under the leadership of Mr Raymond Ellul moved to new premises at 15, Church Square, Mqabba. It was also during these years that Mr Baskal Xuereb began his work on the street decorations for the feast of Our Lady of the Lilies. The Second World War meant a severe set-back to both feast and club on 9 April 1942 an aerial attack destroyed part of the parish church and several houses in the village. It also caused some damage to the statue of Our Lady of the Lilies. The statue is the workmanship of Mr Giovanni Darmanin and was inaugurated on 21 May 1876.
On December 9th, 1945, the Lily Band performed its first musical programme. Thus the band became the first band of the village. The founder and bandmaster was Mro Joseph Darmanin. Later on the Lily Band Club became a member of the Malta Band Clubs’ Association.